Method of disposition
Probably the biggest decision is choosing between a traditional burial or cremation.
If you’re not entirely sure, we suggest you take some time to read some of our expert guides.
- Burial or cremation: The pro’s and con’s of both choices.
- The cremation process: Everything you need to know when planning.
- Cremation costs: Will give you an idea of how much to pay.
- Direct cremation guide: A very basic and affordable option.
Choosing a funeral home:
After you’ve chosen a suitable funeral director, they will help you go through some important decisions.
- Deciding on burial or cremation (See above)
- Deciding where the service and/or ceremony will be (Also time and date)
- Deciding on a casket or cremation container
- Whether to use embalming (Required for an open casket
- Choosing a cemetery and plot (If interment is chosen)
- Purchasing a grave marker for the cemetery
- Charitable donations to organizations
The Ceremony & Service
- Crafting an appropriate service (Religious, spiritual, end of life celebration, etc)
- Choosing a family member, religious leader, or celebrant to run the service
- Family viewing and visitation
- Choosing funeral music, scriptures, prayers, and readings
- Organising transportation- for family and the deceased
- Organising flower arrangements
- Writing an obituary and submitting it to newspapers (If desired)
- Choosing a speaker for the eulogy
- Deciding on pallbearers
- Organising a wake or ceremony after the service (Location and catering)
- Create memorial cards and programs for the service
- Choose photos, videos, clothing, mementos for the service
- Create a memorial register or guest book